Peanut Allergy Information

Blair Community Schools currently has several students in our district who have a severe allergy to peanuts that could result in a life-threatening situation. For these students, any contact, even a small trace of the allergen (eating, touching, smelling), could be life- threatening.


Because of the seriousness of this allergy, we are asking for your cooperation. Whenever possible please do not bring or send with your child any lunch items or snacks containing peanuts, peanut butter, or traces of peanuts. This includes lunches brought from home as well as snacks for your child or that your child may bring to school events. Blair Community Schools has not banned peanut products, but are asking for your assistance in making an alternate choice when possible. We also encourage all students and staff to get in the habit of washing their hands before and after eating. We want our classrooms to be a safe place for all children.


Our teachers will be discussing the above points with students and we hope that parents will reinforce them at home with their children. In addition, the school nurses have trained staff in each building to implement the Asthma/Anaphylaxis Protocol in the event of a life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) or breathing problem.


Thank you for your cooperation and assistance in this matter. Please feel free to contact the school nurse or school principal any time should you have any questions or concerns.


Leon Haith
Director of Student Services 


Ashley Turner, RN
School Nurse