In May of 2016, voters were asked to approve a bond referendum of $19,600,000 for general improvements and additions to school facilities. That proposal was rejected and school board members directed the Superintendent to develop a most critical needs list.
The most critical needs list is defined as those immediate operational needs:
• that effect the teaching, learning and working environments of all students and staff in our attendance centers.
• that effect the security and general safety of students, staff and visitors in our attendance centers.
In June, July and August, board members reviewed the list, received public comment and at the August 29th Board of Education Meeting approved a bond resolution of $10,500,000. This resolution passed, with a 9-0 vote of board members, and will be on the November 8th, 2016, general election.
Bond referendum items continue to be separated in to three focus areas:
• Building and Site Infrastructure: This includes items such as roofs, windows, and doors, science classroom renovations, and restroom updates.
• Safety and Security: This includes secured exterior entries, secured interior doors and hallways, electronic surveillance, and bleachers at BHS.
• Building Systems: This includes electrical panel updates, HVAC replacement, plumbing updates, and data networking.
Three public forums have been scheduled to share the study and to provide an opportunity for the public to give input. All forums will offer the same presentation and materials. The public forums will be held on the following dates:
Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 7:00pm.
Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 7:00pm.
Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 7:00pm.
All public forums will be held at the School Administration Building (former West School), 2232 Washington Street in Blair. We encourage all district patrons to attend one or all of these forums to learn more about the facility study, how it may impact the district now and in the future, and to offer your insights on moving forward.
Bond Issue List of Projects
Bond Issue Tax Impact
Frequently Asked Questions